Senior Telemetry Engineer
BGEN are one of the UK's largest multidisciplinary design and build contractors with over 100 years of industry experience. With expertise in supporting blue chip clients in the Water, Power & Energy, Pharmaceutical and Food and Beverage industries they are at the forefront of value-added engineering.
As a leading engineering firm driving the energy transition in the UK, BGEN have developed a culture to promote personal development and ensure employee safety.
To possess the necessary skills and experience to be able to carry out Engineering, configuration, testing, commissioning and documenting of Telemetry systems.
Based at BGEN Scottish Regional Office (Grangemouth).
Size of projects - Telemetry projects ranging from small "standalone" projects to multi-site programmes involving new Telemetry installations, modifications to existing Telemetry systems and signal testing/verification.
Location of projects - Throughout Scotland. Travel to sites and occasional stays away from home (short duration) will be required.
BGEN Ltd - Technology Division.
The Job Holder shall report to the Telemetry Framework Manager.
Principal accountabilities on completion of familiarisation training
- Carry out the initial review of scope and content of a Telemetry work package. Gather information from Clients and Users to ensure the scope of work is correctly interpreted and implemented. Deliver projects in line with Telemetry design documentation and current Telemetry processes/specifications.
- Compile comprehensive site-specific Telemetry i/o schedules, RTU code/configuration and Telemetry mimics from Clients outline requirements and manage approvals process.
- Prepare and submit Telemetry documentation packages for Client's Top End system.
- Carry out site surveys to define Telemetry solutions to meet client's requirements.
- Configuration of Telemetry RTU's including serial comms (RTU Modbus).
- RTU installations and minor Electrical installation work related to Telemetry systems.
- Accurately document the results of Telemetry system tests at all stages of project life-cycle including full signal end to end testing process.
- Drive Telemetry commissioning and signal end to end testing process in awkward site conditions, with close liaison with Clients and SW Operations.
- Carry out Low Power Radio radio and GSM surveys on site, producing and issuing survey reports in a concise and consistent manner following established procedures and documentation formats.
- Troubleshooting for Scottish Water's installed base of Telemetry RTU's.
- Liaison with other contractors involved in Electrical, Instrumentation, Controls & Telemetry installation.
- Ensure that all activities are carried out in a safe, systematic and controlled manner ensuring high levels of Client satisfaction.
- Report on project progress and provide necessary data to the Telemetry Framework Manager to allow up to date and accurate reports and forecasts to be completed.
- Identify any work activities that are varied or fall outwith the project scope and provide reports of such instances to the Telemetry Framework Manager.
- Ensure that all Health and Safety procedures are followed. Prepare site specific RA/MS packages for all projects requiring site works - following established company templates, procedures and guidance. Completion of company standard H&S site safety checklists.
- Assist the Telemetry Framework Manager as required by providing inforamtion to allow the generation of estimates and quotations.
- Take a leading role in the delivery of larger and more complex Telemetry projects.
- Assist with mentoring and development of trainees, apprentices and Junior Telemetry Engineering staff.
- Must understand and integrate into BGEN group of companies and divisions.
- Must understand the importance of maintaining high levels of client satisfaction.
- The nature of this work is such that the Job Holder will manage several projects and can often be the sole representative for BGEN on site, therefore the Job Holder must be capable of managing his/her time effectively with minimum support. The Job Holder must be capable of effectively managing communications and interfaces between BGEN employees, contractors and clients.
- The workload can be unpredictable and usually has imposed deadlines therefore the Job Holder must possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to work to programme deadlines. The Job Holder must integrate well into the existing Telemetry Engineering team and be able to participate in the established Team Working environment. There often are requirements for several Engineers to work on a single project or for Engineers to take on work transferred to them from other Engineers. Flexibility and a positive attitude to changing requirements is essential.
- The Job Holder should have at least 6 years' experience of Telemetry Systems. Some experience or background knowledge of instrumentation, controls and processes used within the Water industry would be advantageous.
- The job involves elements of Telemetry (RTU) and related equipment installations. The job holder must be prepared to work in a "hands on" environment.
- The Job Holder will be required to undertake periodic "1 to 1" performance reviews and to attend and have an active participation in all internal and external training courses.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and with clients.
- The ability to work effectively and problem solve under own initiative is essential.
- The ability to integrate well into an established Engineering team and to possess a positive attitude to team working is essential.
Applicants should be educated to HNC/HND/Degree level in Electrical/Electronics Engineering and/or have completed an Electrical/Electronics Engineering Apprenticeship with further experience in Telemetry / ICA Systems.
Consideration will also be given to candidates with other recognised qualifications and/or job related training and experience who show an aptitude to further development.
Must hold a full UK driving licence.
Job related experience
Preferably the candidate will have gained at least 6 year's previous experience in a Telemetry Engineering environment.
Skills and Knowledge
Technical experience of Telemetry systems and experience or knowledge of their applications within the Water industry would be advantageous.
Some technical experience or background knowledge of radio and/or Telecommunication systems would be advantageous.
Good general I.T. skills are essential and the ability to quickly learn new software packages and applications.
A good level of proficiency in the use of MS Office suite (MS Excel in particular) is essential, as is the ability to produce documentation to a high standard and with good attention to detail.