|Job Title||Contracts Manager (Strategic Projects / UK Local Works)|
|Reporting to||Vinnie Edge (International & Strategic Business Unit)|
|Location||Firecrest, Warrington, Site Based & Home Working|
To directly manage and assist grow a portfolio for UK local Electrical Projects works, across a diverse range of industries, to deliver efficient and effective execution of client requirements.
Annual operating budget: £5-10m (Divisional)
Number of staff: Unspecified
Size of projects: Direct management up to £2.5 m, Portfolio Value £2.5m (Intended Growth)
Location of projects: All relevant locally UK based projects
- Manage the effective delivery of specified projects to time and cost targets by personal leadership and through direct reports from other members of the team.
- Maintain compliance with SHE and Quality standards on all relevant project activities by personal leadership and through direct reports.
- Contribute to the effective utilisation of resources with appropriate liaison with the labour manager and other business units.
- Manage the development of direct reports by setting and supporting realistic objectives and appropriate development plans and reviewing these regularly.
- Assist the International & Strategic Business Director and Business Development Manager pursue opportunities to develop growth in sales and GM.
- Support the communication process by involvement in relevant communication meetings and by delivering team briefings.
- Contribute to the improvement of profitable performance by seeking and applying appropriate innovative ‘ways of working’ and technical solutions.
- Maintain and improve customer satisfaction by seeking and responding constructively to feedback – ensuring that all Engineers and Supervisors are actively involved in the Customer Satisfaction Programme.
- The capability to produce and interpret project commercial CVR’s for all areas/contracts of responsibility is a prerequisite for this post.
- Assist the International & Strategic Business Director Unit Director and Commercial Manager to produce monthly forecasts, and annual budgets.
- To undertake performance and monitoring reviews in line with the requirements of Investors in People.
- Monitor and maintain the Supervisors/Site Operative competency profiling system – placing particular emphasis upon the post-contract/transfer assessment system.
- Attendance at all internal monthly meetings including all team briefs and team building meetings events.
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety and employment legislation.
- Familiarity with QA systems and compliance.
- Understanding of Design, Construction and commissioning programmes – in conjunction with the capability to demonstrate site productivity ratios – and bring about improvement where required.
- Commercial awareness including basic knowledge of the relevant practical application of contract law.
- Technical knowledge of construction ‘best practice’ in the principal discipline of Control/Electrical site work.
- Awareness of project management ‘best practice’.
- Good people management skills and knowledge of performance management processes for leadership, coaching and development of staff.
- Well-developed negotiating and influencing skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively within the organisation and with clients and other contracting organisations.
- Ability to estimate with support from the team, and estimating department depending on the enquiry
- Ability to communicate with and lead project teams consisting of members of different divisions within the BGEN organisation.
Job Related Experience
- Significant contract management experience, including estimating, and construction site management experience is essential.
- Well-developed people management skills are essential to motivate a diverse team of individuals.
- Demonstrative team building skills will be a key criterion for this position.
- Strategic Projects is primarily focused on pursing new and existing clients in the Northwest region with the objective to increase sales and GM for the business unit and company in general.
- The International and Strategic Business Unit is a standalone business unit within BGEN Ltd and therefore sales and profit performance is essential.
- Site construction work involves significant compliance requirements, particularly with respect to safety legislation – the Job Holder must maintain knowledge in this area and actively manage the risks involved through his team of Project / Site Managers and Supervisors in conjunction with the advice provided by the Company’s Safety Advisors.
- The business unit operates in a wide range of industries and under several different contract structures and therefore the Job Holder must be familiar with a variety of commercial interfaces.
- The range of Strategic Projects is diverse from refurbishments to new build and can include all BGEN’s functions (e.g. Electrical, Mechanical, Technology) therefore the Job Holder must have broad knowledge of all these areas.
- The Job Holder may be required to undertake and assist with International Projects if required
- The Job Holder must have the interpersonal skills to operate across a range of interfaces at operative and director level within the Group and with clients.
- The Job Holder is a member of the Strategic Projects Senior Management Team.
- The Job Holder shall have a willingness to undertake an annual performance 1 to 1 review, to attend and have an active participation in all internal and external training courses
Basic academic qualifications (e.g. City & Guilds ‘C’ Certificate) in the prime discipline of Electrical engineering and some formal management training (e.g. NVQ Level 4/5).