Job Description – UK & OVERSEAS ELECTRICAL PROJECT ENGINEER
To manage and specify projects from initial estimate through to construction and handover, to ensure efficient and effective delivery of client requirements within time, budgetary and tender allowances. To ensure that the maximum margin is achieved.
Annual operating budget: £5M-£10M
Number of staff: Unspecified
Size of projects: Direct management up to £2.5M
Location of projects: All UK & Overseas projects undertaken by BGEN International and Strategic Projects.
BGEN Ltd – International Business Unit, the Job Holder shall report to the International Business Unit Operations Manager and Operations Director.
- To carry out the initial technical and contractual review of the tender enquiry
- To prepare of the estimate in a logical and precise manner following QA procedures and utilising the computerised estimating package and/or Microsoft Word / Excel
- To obtain competitive quotations from Suppliers / Subcontractors for project estimates
- To carry out take-offs in a manner that will provide as much detail as possible for the purpose of tender reviews prior to tender submission and to assist in the financial control of a contract should the tender be successful
- To carry out and develop front end / top level engineering design solutions at times for both tender and project delivery purposes.
- Manage the effective delivery of specified projects to time and cost targets by personal leadership through members of the team.
- Manage export of materials and equipment including packing and shipping in accordance with incoterms and client contracts.
- Ensure compliance with SHE and Quality standards on relevant project activities by personal leadership and through members of the team.
- Manage the development of direct reports by setting and supporting realistic objectives and appropriate development plans and reviewing these regularly.
- Support the communication process by involvement in relevant communication meetings.
- Contribute to the improvement of profitable performance by seeking and applying appropriate innovative ‘ways of working’ and technical solutions.
- Maintain and improve customer satisfaction by seeking and responding constructively to feedback.
- The capability to produce project commercial reports for projects/contracts within area of responsibility.
- To undertake the Supervisor and Site Operative (where requested), performance reviews in line with the requirements of Investors in People.
- To monitor and maintain the Supervisors/Site Operative competency profiling system – placing particular emphasis in three unique areas:
- The post-contract/transfer assessment system.
- The compilation of work content sheet at the project Kick-Off Meeting.
- Performance feedback upon our Supervision will be a pre-requisite of this post.
- Attendance at all Engineers/Supervisors quarterly meetings – inclusive of divisional team briefs and team building events.
- Accept ongoing internal and external training in line with changes in both statutory and trade operational systems.
- To ensure that effective plant, tool and test equipment, security and traceability systems are established at all sites/locations.
- International and Strategic Projects is a standalone business unit therefore sales and profit performance is essential.
- International & Strategic Projects deliver projects in both the UK (Northwest Region) and overseas, predominately in Africa. Although the role is mainly office based / homeworking you may be required to be based on UK sites and travel overseas as required. Durations may vary and all expenses are covered for overseas travel.
- Site construction work involves significant compliance requirements, particularly with respect to safety legislation – the Job Holder must maintain knowledge in this area and actively manage the risks involved through his team of supervisors.
- The business operates in a wide range of heavy industries under a number of different contract structures (alliance – lump sum) and therefore the Job Holder must be familiar with a variety of commercial interfaces.
- The range of projects is very diverse from refurbishments to new build and can include all BGEN Ltd functions (e.g. electrical, mechanical, and technology) therefore the Job Holder must have broad knowledge of all these areas but mainly electrical distribution systems.
- International export materials an equipment overseas therefore the Job Holder will be required to learn and understand requirements for the preparation of shipping documentation and Incoterms.
- The Job Holder shall have a willingness to undertake an annual performance 1 to 1 review, to attend and have an active participation in all internal and external training courses
Basic academic qualifications (e.g. City & Guilds ‘C’ Certificate) in the prime discipline of Control/Electrical engineering and some formal management training (e.g. NVQ Level 4/5). Degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering preferred but not essential.
Job Related Experience
Construction site management experience.
Contract management experience, including Estimating, Cost Control, and Q.A are essential
Electrical design and engineering with AutoCAd and Amtech experience is preferred
Well-developed people management skills are essential to motivate a diverse team of individuals.
Experience is working in industries, such as breweries, petrochemical, process plants and industrial manufacturing.
Skills and Knowledge
Knowledge of current Health and Safety and employment legislation.
Familiarity with QA systems and compliance.
Familiarity with the internal ESOP system.
Commercial awareness including basic knowledge of the relevant practical application of contract law.
Technical knowledge of construction ‘best practice’ in the principal discipline of electrical site work.
Good people management skills and knowledge of performance management processes for leadership, coaching and development of staff.
Effective negotiating and influencing skills.
Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and with clients.