Junior or Trainee Telemetry Engineer
To acquire the necessary skills and experience to be able to carry out Engineering, configuration, testing,
installation, commissioning and documenting of Telemetry systems.
Based at Scottish Regional Office (Grangemouth).
Size of projects – Telemetry projects ranging from small “standalone” projects to multi-site programmes
involving new Telemetry installations, modifications to existing Telemetry systems, equipment upgrades,
communications media testing and signal testing/verification exercises.
Location of projects – Throughout Scotland. Frequent travel to sites and occasional stays away from
home (short duration) will be required.
BGEN Ltd – Technology Division.
The Job Holder shall report to the BGEN Telemetry Framework Manager.
Principal accountabilities on completion of training
Carry out review of scope and content of Telemetry work packages and job instructions. Gather
information from Clients and end users to ensure the scope of work is correctly interpreted and
implemented. Deliver projects in line with current Telemetry processes/specifications.
1. Compile comprehensive, site-specific Telemetry i/o schedules, RTU code/configuration files and
Telemetry mimics from client’s design requirements and manage approvals process.
2. Prepare and submit Telemetry documentation packages for client’s Telemetry Top End system.
3. Carry out site surveys to define Telemetry solutions to meet client’s requirements.
4. Configuration of Telemetry RTU’s to suit site specific requirements, including serial comms (RTU
5. RTU installations and minor Electrical installation work related to Telemetry systems.
6. Accurately document the results of Telemetry system installations and tests at all stages of
project life cycle including full signal end to end testing process.
7. Drive Telemetry commissioning and signal end to end testing process in sometimes awkward site
conditions, with close liaison with Clients and Scottish Water Operations.
8. Carry out Low Power Radio, GSM, 4G LTE, VDSL surveys on site, producing and issuing survey
reports in a concise and consistent manner following established procedures and documentation
9. Troubleshooting and fault finding on Scottish Water’s installed base of Telemetry RTU’s.
10. Manage liaison and interfaces with other contractors involved in Electrical, Instrumentation,
Controls & Telemetry installations.
11. Ensure that all activities are carried out in a safe, systematic and controlled manner ensuring
high levels of Client satisfaction.
12. Report on project progress and provide necessary data to the Telemetry Project Manager or
Telemetry Framework Manager to allow up to date and accurate reports and forecasts to be
13. Identify any work activities that are varied or fall outwith the project scope and provide reports of
such instances to the Telemetry Project Manager or Telemetry Framework Manager.
14. Ensure that all Health and Safety procedures are followed. Prepare site specific RA/MS packages
for all projects requiring site works – following established company templates, procedures and
guidance. Completion of company standard H&S site safety checklists.
15. Assist the Telemetry Framework Manager as required by providing information to allow the
generation of estimates and quotations.
1. Must understand and integrate well in to the BGEN group of companies and divisions.
2. Must understand the importance of maintaining high levels of client satisfaction.
3. The nature of this work is such that the Job Holder will manage several projects and can often be
the sole representative for BGEN on site, therefore the Job Holder must be capable of managing
his/her time effectively with minimum support. The Job Holder must be capable of effectively
managing communications and interfaces between BGEN employees, contractors and clients.
4. The workload can be unpredictable and usually has imposed deadlines therefore the Job Holder
must possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to work to programme deadlines. The
Job Holder must integrate well into the existing Telemetry Engineering team and be able to
participate in the established Team Working environment. There often are requirements for
several Engineers to work on a single project or for Engineers to take on work transferred to
them from other Engineers. Flexibility and a positive attitude to changing requirements is
5. It would be advantageous for the Job Holder to have some understanding of the purposes/uses
of Telemetry Systems.
6. The job involves elements of Telemetry (RTU) and related equipment installations. The job
holder must be prepared to work in a “hands on” environment.
7. The Job Holder will be required to undertake periodic “1 to 1” performance appraisals and to
attend and have an active participation in all internal and external training courses.
8. Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and with clients.
9. The ability to work effectively and problem solve under own initiative is essential.
10. The ability to integrate well into an established Engineering team and to possess a positive
attitude to team working is essential.
Degree/HNC/HND or equivalent level qualification in Electrical, Electronic, Controls Engineering,
Instrumentation or a related technical/Engineering discipline.
Consideration will also be given to candidates with other recognised qualifications and/or other jobrelated training and/or experience who show an aptitude to further their career development.
Must hold a full UK driving licence.
Job related experience
Any previous job experience in a Telemetry Engineering or other related Technical or Engineering
environment would be advantageous.
Skills and Knowledge
Any technical experience of Telemetry systems and experience or knowledge of their applications within
the Water industry would be advantageous.
Any technical experience or background knowledge of radio and/or Telecommunication systems would be
Good general I.T. skills and the ability to quickly learn new software packages and applications are
A good level of proficiency in the use of MS Office suite (MS Excel in particular) is essential, as is the
ability to produce documentation to a high standard and with good attention to detail.
Any practical “hands on” equipment installation experience would be advantageous.