To take a lead role in allocated projects, ensuring all of the LV design elements and procurement of materials are completed in a timely manner and to agreed timescales, whilst taking responsibility for associated product conformity requirements and commercial performance in line with company targets.
To mentor other LV Design Engineers and assist in the development of their skills and capabilities.
To co-ordinate the efforts of other disciplines in delivering projects.
To provide technical assistance and guidance on projects both pre and post sales.
Based at Warrington, Derby, Stafford or Grangemouth offices (As agreed).
The jobholder may need to spend time within other office locations and client sites as necessary to deliver the function.
Location of projects: UK and International markets
BGEN Ltd – Technology SBU
The job holder shall report to the LV Operations Manager and liaise closely with LV Design Engineers, LV Project Engineers, LV Technical Manager, LV Production Manager, LV Test Engineers, LV Bid Team, Key Account Managers, Project Managers and clients as necessary to effectively execute the function.
- Monitor and plan projects to ensure they are completed on time and to budget, including updating project commercial files and monthly progress reports, capturing change and highlighting any project risks.
- Produce and assume accountability of LV design and engineering procedures / forms relating to an integrated operating model, for the delivery phase of projects.
- Complete the production of electrical design drawings and calculations from client’s requirements, associated technical standards and ‘best’ engineering practice.
- Carry out technical reviews of electrical design drawings and calculations within the LV Engineering department.
- Provide technical guidance to teams within Technology on ‘best technical solutions’ both pre and post sales. Generating the highest level of system requirements, based on the user’s needs and other constraints such as cost and programme, in coordination with the Technical Manager.
- Work as part of a collaborative team (coordinated by the Technical Manager) to develop standards & tools in order to enhance productivity, improve quality, comply with legislation and/or keep abreast of developments in technology. Ensure the LV Engineering team is properly updated with developments / standards by leading the communication process.
- Maintain compliance with the Technology QA system technical requirements within the team by review and audit.
- Carry out site surveys involving intrusive investigation of in-service LV Assemblies and provide report of findings and requirements.
- Assist in the generation of estimates, proposals and tenders as necessary.
- Carry out technical reviews of estimates, proposals and tenders as necessary.
- Notify LV Operations Director of any significant commercial, technical or contractual risks associated with current or pending projects.
- Actively participate in regular LV Engineering meetings.
- Attend weekly meetings for project planning and progress review.
- Prepare for and attend project meetings as required.
- Positively promote capabilities and relationships within other parts of the business in order to maximise on cross-divisional opportunities.
- Must understand the needs of BGEN Ltd / BGEN Technology as a whole.
- Must have an excellent understanding of Control Systems with high levels of technical ability proven through hands on experience.
- Must be innovative, be comfortable with the ambiguity associated with preliminary design work and be able to concentrate on ‘big picture’ issues leaving the filling in of detail until a later stage.
- Must be a team player with a knowledge of system engineering and project delivery processes.
- Must have good interpersonal skills and have the ability to effectively communicate at all levels.
- Must be positive, approachable, willing and helpful.
- Must possess a keen commercial awareness.
- Must encourage collaborative working where appropriate.
- Must possess excellent organisational skills and the ability to multi-task, prioritise and work under considerable time pressures.
- Must possess problem / conflict resolution skills, both internally and with clients.
- HNC/HND Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Or equivalent through experience).
- Working towards BEng Electrical and Electronic Engineering. (Preferable)
- Member of The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). (Preferable)
- Professionally registered as EngTech or IEng (Engineering Council). (Preferable).
- Competent technical knowledge of industrial power systems.
- Competent technical knowledge of industrial control and automation systems.
- Knowledge of BS EN 61439-2 Power Switchgear and Controlgear Assemblies.
- Knowledge of BS EN 60947 Low-voltage Switchgear and Controlgear.
- Knowledge of BS 7671 IET Wiring Regulations.
- Knowledge of selectivity and co-ordination of protective devices and switching devices.
- Knowledge of electrical distribution theory, cable sizing, motor starting and control techniques.
- Knowledge of programmable logic controller systems and associated hardware.
- Knowledge of industrial communication networks, protocols and architecture.
- Knowledge of network ‘fault-levels’ and associated LV Assembly short-circuit withstand strength. Knowledge of power loss, heat dissipation and associated LV Assembly temperature-rise limits.
- Knowledge of earthing systems and practice.
- Knowledge of Product Conformity requirements (UKCA / CE Marking).
- Knowledge of Project Management ‘best practice’.
- Knowledge of ISO9001 QA systems.
- Proficient in current release of Autodesk (AutoCAD) or Bentley (Microstation / Promis.e) and Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Sharepoint) software.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation and with clients.
- Ability to influence and negotiate effectively.